Last Updated: June 5, 2023
Personal data is typically data that identifies an individual or relates to an identifiable individual. The definition of personal data (used interchangeably with “personal information”) depends on the applicable law based on your physical location. Only the definition that applies to your physical location will apply to you under this Policy.
Personal Data We Collect and Why We Collect It
SciLucent collects certain personal data about you and your use of our Services. The personal data that we collect depends on your interactions with us, and the choices you make. We may process your personal data for the following purposes.
- To Respond to Your Inquires. We may collect your email address, name, and any other information you choose to provide when you fill out the form on the Contact Us page, the Leadership staff pages, or email us seeking information about our Services. The personal data that you provide via web forms or in emails will be used only for such purposes described at the point of collection or to respond to your inquiry.
- To Review Your Application for a Job. When you apply for a position on our Careers page, we may collect your name, your email address, your street address, your cover letter, your resume, and any comments or other information that you provide.
- To Research and Develop Our Services. We may process your personal data and derive analytical and statistical data to better understand the way you use and interact with our Services. For instance, analyzing where, on which types of devices and how our Sites are used, how many visitors we receive, and where they click on the Site may help us improve our existing Services. We may collect this information automatically from you. For instance
- Location. When you use our Services, we may infer the approximate physical location and geographic regions of your device from your IP address.
- Usage Data. When you browse our Site, we may automatically collect log data such as your web request, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, domain names, referring and exit pages and URLs, pages viewed and the order of these page views, the date and time you access our servers, and other diagnostic data.
- Device Information. When you use your desktop or mobile devices to access our Services, we may be able to identify your device’s unique device identifier, MAC address, and operating system.
- To Detect and Prevent Fraud and Security Risks. To the extent permitted under the applicable law, we may collect certain types of data automatically, as described above, such as when you interact with the Sites. We may process your personal data to help monitor, prevent and detect fraud and abusive use of our Services, monitor unauthorized access, enhance system security, and combat spam, malware, malicious activities or other security risks.
- To Participate in a Raffle or Contest. From time to time, we may conduct a raffle or contest as part of our scientific conference offerings, which you may participate in by providing such personal data as your name and email address.
- To Provide Marketing Communication. We may collect your email address or other electronic addresses that you voluntarily provide to us if you subscribe to our marketing communications. We will send you information on products and services. When you no longer wish to receive these marketing messages from us, you can opt out at any time by unsubscribing or following the instructions contained within such messages or contacting us via the methods specified in the “Contact Us” section below.
- To Facilitate Corporate Acquisitions, Mergers and Transactions. We may process any information regarding you and your use of our Services as is necessary in the context of corporate acquisitions, mergers, or other corporate transactions.
- To Maintain Legal and Regulatory Compliance. We may process your personal data to fulfill our business obligations, to manage risk as required or permitted under applicable laws and regulations, or to respond to requests by judicial process or governmental agency.
- With Your Consent. We may process your personal data for any other purpose disclosed to you or which is reasonably necessary to provide the services or other related services requested, with your permission or upon your direction.
How We Disclose Your Personal Data
We may share personal data about you with third parties in the following circumstances:
- With Our Service Providers. We may share your personal data with third-party service providers acting on our behalf to help us operate our Services. Service providers provide us with support services such as website hosting, data analytics, marketing, and network maintenance.
- During Business Transaction or Other Asset Transfers. We may disclose and transfer information about you to buyers, service providers, advisors, potential transactional partners or other third parties in connection with the advisors, potential transactional partners or other third parties of a corporate transaction in which we are acquired by or merged with another company, or we sell, liquidate, or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets. By engaging with us or using our Services, you understand and agree to our assignment or transfer of rights to your personal data.
- Within Our Corporate Organization. We may share your personal data within our organization, such as with corporate affiliates, joint venturers, or other companies under common control with us, to provide you with the Services and to take actions based on your request.
- For Legal Compliance & Safety. We may access, preserve, and disclose information about you if we believe doing so is required or appropriate to (a) comply with law enforcement requests and legal processes, such as a court order or subpoena; (b) comply with requests from auditors, examiners or other regulators; (c) exercise, establish or defend our legal rights; or (d) to protect your, our, or others’ rights, property or safety.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
If you want to exercise your rights regarding personal data collected via cookies and similar tracking technologies, please see the “Your Choices” section.
We may use third-party service providers to monitor and analyze the use of our career website, such as Google Analytics. Google Analytics is a web analytics service offered by Google LLC (“Google”) that tracks and reports website traffic. For more information on the privacy practices of Google, please visit the Google Privacy & Terms web page: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en. Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on provides visitors with the ability to prevent their data from being collected and used by Google Analytics, available at: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
How We Protect Your Personal Data
We follow generally accepted standards to protect the personal data submitted to us, both during transmission and once it is received. We maintain our Services and all associated information with technical, administrative, and physical safeguards to protect against the loss, unauthorized access, destruction, misuse, modification, and improper disclosure of your personal data. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We cannot guarantee the security of our databases or the databases of the third parties with which we may share such information, nor can we guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the internet.
Retention of Your Personal Data
We will retain your personal data for as long as needed to provide you Services or for other purposes stated in this Policy. We will cease to retain your personal data or remove how the personal data can be associated with you as soon as it is reasonable to assume that such retention no longer serves the purpose for which the personal data was collected and is no longer necessary for legal or business purposes.
If you are under 18, please do not attempt to fill out our forms or send any personal data about yourself to us. If you are a parent or guardian and you suspect that they have provided their information to us, you may contact us via the method identified in the “Contact Us” section below, so that we may delete their information. If we become aware that a child has provided us with personal data, we will take steps to delete such information from our systems, unless we have a legal obligation to keep it.
Third Party Links
Our Site may include links to websites and/or applications operated and maintained by third parties. We have no control over the privacy practices of websites or applications that we do not own and cannot guarantee that such third parties will adhere to the same privacy practices as us. This Policy does not cover the privacy practices of such third parties. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of those third parties.
- Marketing Communications. We offer you certain choices about how we communicate with you. Where provided by law, you may withdraw your consent previously provided to us, and we will apply your preferences going forward. You can also choose not to receive marketing communications from us by clicking on the unsubscribe link in our marketing content.
- Managing Cookies. You have the right to decide whether to accept non-essential cookies. If you do not want us to deploy cookies in your browser, you may modify your web browser setting to either refuse some or all cookies or notify you and ask for your permission when a website tries to set a cookie. If you want to learn the correct way to modify your browser settings, please use the “Help,” “Tools” or “Edit” menu in your browser or review the instructions provided by the following browsers: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari Desktop, Safari Mobile; and Android If you block or delete technical and/or function cookies our Site may become impossible to browse, certain functions of the Site may become unavailable or other malfunctions may occur.
- Access to Personal Data. If you have submitted information to this Site, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us.
- Deletion of Personal Data. If you have submitted information to this Site, you can request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.Please note that to protect your privacy and security, we must be able to verify your identity before we can process your request to access or delete your personal data.
Additional Disclosures to Individuals Located in the United Kingdom, European Economic Area or Switzerland
This section applies to individuals who are located in the European Economic Area, the United Kingdom or Switzerland (collectively “EEA Residents’”) at the time their personal data is collected.
Controller. SciLucent, Inc. located at 585 Grove Street, Suite 300, Herndon, Virginia 20170 is the data controller and responsible for the processing of your personal data and responding to any requests related to your personal data.
Legal Bases. Our legal bases for processing your personal data under the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) will depend on the specific context in which the personal data is collected and the purposes for which it is used. When we process your personal data, depending on the context, we may rely on a variety of different legal bases to process, including: (i) to perform a contract with you (or to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract with you); (ii) for our legitimate interests; (iii) to comply with our legal obligations and/or (iv) your consent.
Individual Rights. If you would like to request to review, correct, update, suppress, restrict or delete personal data that you have provided to us through the Site, withdraw your consent, or if you would like to request to receive an electronic copy of such personal data for purposes of transmitting it to another company, you may contact us as indicated in the Contact Us section. To protect your privacy and security, we may take steps to verify your identity before complying with your request and we may decline your request if we are unable to verify your identity.
In your request, please tell us what personal data you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have it suppressed from our database, or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of it. For your protection, we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request.
We do not employ solely automated decision-making that results in automated decisions being taken (including profiling) that legally affect you or similarly significantly affect you. Automated decisions are decisions made automatically based on computer determinations (using software algorithms), without human review.
You have the right to lodge a complaint about our practices in response to your personal data with the supervisory authority of your country.
International Transfers. If the processing of your personal data is subject to the GDPR, we will ensure that any international or onward transfer is consistent with applicable law, including: (i) through the use of standard contractual clauses approved by an appropriate regulatory authority, such as the European Commission or the U.K. Information Commissioner’s Office; (ii) an Article 49 derogations in specific situations; or (iii) any other compliant transfer mechanism. We may also rely on an adequacy decision of the European Commission confirming an adequate level of data protection in the jurisdiction of the party receiving the information.
We welcome your questions, comments and concerns about privacy. You can contact us by email at [email protected], by postal mail at SciLucent, 585 Grove Street, Suite 300, Herndon, Virginia 20170, or via our contact form at https://www.scilucent.com/contact/.
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) Privacy
Please note that the CCPA does not apply to SciLucent, Inc. as we do not meet the criteria as defined by the CCPA law. If and when our circumstances change and we do meet the criteria, we will comply with all requirements of the CCPA.